On October 7, 2010 the Peter Munk Cardiac Centre celebrated the illustrious career of Dr. Doug Wigle at the Windsor Arms Hotel. The evening began with a special reception, a luxurious gourmet dinner and featured remarks from some of Dr. Wigle’s esteemed colleagues, friends and family.
Dr. Wigle joined the staff of the University of Toronto and Toronto General Hospital (TGH) as a cardiologist in 1960 and became Director of the Cardiac Investigation Unit in 1962. In 1972, he was appointed a Full Professor in the Department of Medicine at U of T, and became Director of the Division of Cardiology at Toronto General Hospital, until he stepped down in 1986.
In his long career at TGH, Dr. Wigle developed one of the first all-encompassing cardiology units in Canada and one that was to become pre-eminent in North America. His leadership and development of the Cardiology Division at UHN led his colleagues to describe him as one of the “fathers of modern cardiology”.
Dr. Wigle was involved in teaching, both undergraduate and postgraduate students and in a clinical consulting practice in Cardiology. He is internationally recognized as one of the leading researchers of the condition of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (enlarged heart muscle walls). Since the first modern description of this condition occurred in 1957, Dr. Wigle published no fewer than 120 peer reviewed scientific presentations as well as publishing 88 manuscripts on the subject. As a result of his research and understanding of this disease, Toronto has for many years been a national and international referral center for the diagnosis and medical and surgical treatment of this disorder.